Les Doherty (left) with successful TU Reps at Stockport College, December 2015
John (pictured right) started work last September 2015 as one of the TUC Tutors at the Trade Union Education Unit, Stockport College and has delivered a number of Health & Safety and other courses to TU Reps. He works alongside fellow tutors Les Doherty and John Handley.
Drop him a line for details of forthcoming TU Ed courses in 2016.
John delivering his 'How to be a Successful Media Freelance' presentation at the TV Bay Roadshow at Old Trafford Conference Centre, March 2015
John talking about his sound work to media students in Lafayette, Indiana
Over recent years John has been invited as a guest speaker to Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts, Liverpool Media Academy, Hope University, Edge Hill University, Liverpool John Moore's University, Bolton University, York University, Salford University, Leeds Beckett University, Staffordshire University and Huddersfield University; and Stockport, Oldham and Manchester Colleges.
He feels that it is important that as a practising industry professional he has the opportunity to speak with students who will be the next generation of television workers.
'I've always enjoyed teaching and learning with people, right back to my early formal and informal training sessions at the Manchester Film & Video Workshop. As with all the activities I undertake I want to do them to the best of my abilities. Hence over the years I've attended courses and acquired qualifications to make me a more capable and confident communicator and trainer.'
John talking to MA students at Huddersfield University 2007
John's qualifications are as follows:
Qualifications in Teaching/Training:
- CIPD Certificate in Training Practice, Stockport College, (2003-2004)
- Certificate in Education (Adult, Further and Higher), University of Manchester (1995-1997)
- City & Guilds 7307 Teaching Certificate in Further & Adult Education (1994-5)
Qualifications in Health & Safety
- NEBOSH Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety with Credit May 2012
- Certificate of Continuing Professional Development in Occupational Health and Safety, University of Bolton March 2012
- Certificate of Training Practical Pyrotechnics - Safety Awareness, ASP/Just FX 2014
- HABC Level 2 Award in Emergency First Aid at Work, Highfield/Epione Medical 2013
John is usually available and willing to give illustrated talks on a variety of topics relating to his work within the film and television industries including Audio Design and Sound Editing, Health & Safety in Television Production, Community & Documentary DV Production and 'How to be a Successful Freelance in the Creative Industries'
John with Fran receiving his Certificate in Training Practice 2005